Monday, June 20, 2011

Old Door Turned Picnic Table

When we moved into our home three years ago we found some old doors in the rafters of the garage. I used two of them for this project last year:

Well, I finally got around to using another one of the old doors! I have seen old doors made into tables on various different blogs like this one. I also found an article about making a picnic table out of an old door and two saw horses.
After my wonderful husband and father-in-law pulled the door out of the rafters I gave it a good cleaning. I liked the shabby-ness of the door so I decided not to paint it.

I swear sometimes the thrift store gods decide to smile on me and I find just the thing I'm looking for. I was at the Deseret Industries and found four brand new table legs for $8. I was giddy! Anyway, I attached the legs to the door with "L" brackets (which cost like twice as much as my thrifted table legs).

After flipping the table right-side-up I learned one bracket is not enough to make the table really sturdy so I'm going to have to go back to the hardware store for some additional reinforcements. I found these four lovely chairs at the Deseret Industries (over a few different shopping trips).




They are looking wonderful after a coat of paint and some recovered cushions. The fabric is from my favorite little quilt shop, Suppose. I then sprayed the chairs with a protective clear coat to hopefully protect them from the elements.




I am in love with my new picnic table and can hardly wait to have lunch under the trees this summer!



My curious little chickens wanted in on the action too.

So what do you all think I should do to protect the top of the table? I'm sure someone out there has a good idea...


19 comments:

  1. OMG! LEIGH! I am dying! DYING at how creative you are. Love the colors! Love the idea! Love the fabrics! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. \What a great Idea!!! Love it! New follower from Blue Cricket Linky!
    Come see me at www.periwinklepixies.blogspot.com
    ~Jacinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome! You could probably get a piece of clear plexiglass and put it on top of the table. Then you still see the charm of the table, but it is protected from the elements and spills, and (bonus!) easy to wipe off after using! or sitting outside for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great suggestion Mrs. Edwards. My husband thought that was a good idea too.
    --Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous table!! The chairs go perfectly.. best of all are the curious chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, so I came across your halloween village platform tutorial. So so cute! Question for you, where did you get your Jason, Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger figurines?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda, I'm glad you liked my village (I was afraid it was too morbid for some!) I got the entire village: houses and figurines from Hawthorn Village online. I think they were called the horror movie collection. Expensive, but well worth the money.
    --Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. if the plexi turns out not to work, you can use clear resin to fill in the panels of the door, then do 1 thin final coat of the resin to protect the entire surface.

    it'll make the table heavier, but it'll last longer than the plexi and won't be blown away by wind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Fabulous job, love the multi-colored chairs! Looks great and cute chickens!

    Natalie
    www.projectdowhatyoulove.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't put into words how much I love this idea!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this!! I was looking around for something to do with an extra door we have in our attic, and this is perfect. I'm wondering how it held up (as it appears this post is from last year), and if you ended up using a different varnish to further protect them. Lastly, did you spray paint the chairs? If so, what colors did you use (becuase I LOVE your choices!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I just found your blog this morning and am already in love with it! You can visit me on my blog at "Felina Baltazar". I am obsessed with cheap decorating as well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. This seems to good to be true! I'm really impressed with what people have been able to accomplish with inexpensive home decor. I truly believe now that anybody have a fancy looking home if they just know who to do it right. So amazing learning about this stuff and what people have accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what an idea sir ji ! we also decorate the home once visit i m sure really like our decoration we show only that style which you like
    visit to
    Unique Home Décor

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this article, it has really been a great read. I've personally never dealt much with cheap garden decor before. I live in a tight budget now and and have to figure everything out, thanks for helping!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what an idea sir ji ! we also decorate the home once visit i m sure really like our decoration we show only that style which you like
    visit to fitted picnic table

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...